Visiting PhD Students
The Department of Government welcomes visiting PhD students from all over the world. Visitors have the opportunity to be involved in a wide range of activities, e.g. lectures, seminars and graduate courses at the department. Due to availability, we can also offer work space at the department, and IT facilities.
The department does not provide financial payments to visitors. Hence, visiting PhD students should normally apply for research funding schemes through their home department.
How to apply for as visiting PhD student status at the Department of Government, Uppsala University:
1. Before submitting the formal application, it is essential for the visiting PhD student to have identified and corresponded with a full member of the department that is willing to act as an academic mentor during the stay. The department mentor must be an established member of the academic staff in a relevant field. The mentor will usually not provide formal academic supervision. The Director of Graduate Studies can help prospective visitors to establish an initial contact.
2. The formal application should enclose the following documents:
- Documentation of enrolment in a PhD programme
- Specification of the topic of your PhD project (max. 1 page)
- A letter motivating the choice of Department of Government, Uppsala University as a suitable place to carry out your research, and an outline of the work which you propose to undertake while based at Uppsala. Specify the time period you wish to stay at the department (max. 2 pages)
- Supervisor reference(s) from your home department (must state that the stay is recognised as an integral part of your PhD project)
- Short CV (max 2 pages).
3. Send your application to the Director of Graduate Studies.
4. Based on the application and available resources during the period you wish to visit the department, the Director of Graduate Studies and the Head of Department will take a decision and communicate it to the applicant.